martes, 11 de marzo de 2014

Student life: the problem with procrastination

The irony is not lost on me that, when I chose to write a piece on procrastination, I did just that. I put it off. As I had plenty of time, I deferred to an inexhaustible list of invariably pointless tasks, until it came to be 10:41pm, the night before my deadline. Only then did my metaphorical pen hit the paper. What can I say, I thrive on pressure.
            So, let me count the ways in which I procrastinate. For I am, like the majority of students, incredibly good at it. When faced with an essay, yawn-inducing novel or otherwise annoying task, there are many options for practical procrastination. I’m not normally one of those ‘I’ll just watch television all day' students. I like to get things done; everything in fact, except the thing I’m supposed to do.
            On an average productive day I could: go for a run, clean the (already clean) bathroom, hallway and kitchen, and empty the recycling bin. I could reorder my clothes rail, tidy and order my bookcase, sort out my underwear drawer and refold my jumpers (no mean feat). If I was feeling especially productive, I could clean both the fridges, or de-ice the freezer. I could de-limescale the loo, dust my candles.
            However, if you thought this was an inexhaustible list of tasks, you'd be wrong. On Monday evening, I found, to my horror, that there was nothing left to do. I had done everything. I had been for an evening walk, en route to and from the library; I had made the longest list for Tuesday and Wednesday of crucial reading week tasks, and had reshuffled my dissertation book box. Procrastination productivity was over; even my socks had been organised.
            I gave myself a mental slap. Get a grip Eleanor, no one cares about your socks (and neither do you, if you’re honest.) According to my deadlines calendar – yep, got one of those – February is free as a bird. No work in until March. Yippee!
            However, with seven essays – including the mighty dissertation – to go, I should be getting ahead. Cracking on with March’s hand-ins would alleviate pressure, but somehow tidying up seems more appealing. It’s that feeling of ‘oh well, at least I’ve done something today.’ I know that doesn’t break the great wall of essays, but to a disillusioned finalist, I have to grasp my small victories.

*procrastination: when you delay doing something until later, usually something you do not want to do.

Question 1 (2 points) Indicate whether the following statements are true or false and write down which part of the text justifies your answer.

a. Eleanor works better when her deadlines are nearby.
b. Eleanor is a lazy person.
c. It was impossible to finish al the tasks Eleanor had planned.
d. Eleanor likes doing housework.

Question 2 (2 points) Answer the following questions in your own words.

a. What outdoor activities, which can be considered unnecessary, did Eleanor do?
b. What does Eleanor mean by: “Procrastination productivity was over”?

Question 3 (1.5 points) Find words or phrases in the text that correspond in meaning to the words and definitions given.

a. Cope with (paragraph 2)
b. Basket (paragraph 3)                                    
c. Deed, achievement (paragraph 3)
d. Very important (paragraph 4)                                     
e. Hold firmly (paragraph 6)

Question 4 (1.5 points) Complete the following sentences without changing the meaning.

a. Eleanor said she had done everything the previous Monday.
    Eleanor said: “…
b. Even my socks had been organized.
    I…
c. I could reorder my clothes rail, tidy and order my bookcase.
    My clothes…

Question 5 (3 points) Write a short essay (120-150 words) on the following topic:


            Everybody procrastinates. Do you agree? 

No hay comentarios: