martes, 25 de marzo de 2014

BRITISH and AMERICAN ENGLISH 7



Are these sentences British or American English? Decide, by reading the whole sentence, if you have to use the British or the American word, which is given in brackets.


  1. After queuing at the ( underground / subway ) station to buy a return ticket, I realised that I had left my (wallet / bill fold ) in my other (pants / trousers ).

  1. When I got back to my apartment, I got my bathrobe out of the ( wardrobe / closet ), turned on the ( faucet / tap ) and got in the tub.

  1. The ( fridge / ice box ) was empty, so all that I could find to eat was a few biscuits, some ( candy / sweets ) and a bag of crisps.

  1. I came back from my vacation last ( fall / autumn ) and found that the garbage men had a left a load of ( rubbish / trash ) in my front yard, so I complained to the ( janitor / caretaker )

  1. My name is Anthony Davis and I live with my family in a block of flats in the ( High / Main ) street.

  1. The mailman arrived with a letter from the ( estate agent / real estate agency )

  1. There is a room in the house which is used by a ( solicitor / attorney ) every year during the bank holidays.

  1. Jimmy’s aunt sent him a ten-dollar bill for his birthday, a ( rubber / eraser) and a box of ( thumb tacks / drawing pins )

  1. My nephew attends a very nice ( kindergarden / nursery school ) where they are never given any kind of sweets.

  1. The smart ( civil servant / government employee ) was waiting at the bar counter to order a lager.



KEY


  1. underground – wallet – trousers
  2. closet – faucet
  3. fridge – sweets
  4. fall – trash – janitor
  5. High
  6. real estate
  7. solicitor
  8. eraser – thumb tacks
  9. nursery school
  10. civil servant

No hay comentarios: