martes, 11 de marzo de 2014

BRITISH and AMERICAN ENGLISH 4


Are these sentences British or American English? Decide by means of the other words in the sentences if the words in brackets are British or American.



  1. If you’re feeling sick, you should go and see our (family doctor/G.P.); his (office/ surgery) is only about two blocks from here.
  1. If you don’t want to walk, you can take a taxi; he’s on the (ground/first floor).
  1. Waiter! We’re ready to order now. For a (starter/ first course) I’d like a shrimp cocktail and a tomato soup.
  1. Then I’d like an underdone steak with (chips/ French fries) and my wife would like the gammon with (egg plants / aubergines). 
  1. For dessert I’ll have the chocolate cream cake and my wife would like cheese and (crackers / biscuits).
  1. May I pay the bill by (check / cheque)?
  1. If I (mail / post) you a check, can I pick it up the tickets in the lobby?
  1. I’m looking for a gray business suit with a (vest / waistcoat).
  1. Is there an underwear department in this store? I’d like to get a few pairs of pants and some (sleeveless shirts / vests)

  

KEY


  1. family doctor / office
  2. ground
  3. first course
  4. chips / aubergines
  5. crackers
  6. cheque
  7. mail
  8. vet
  9. vests

No hay comentarios: