martes, 13 de abril de 2010

Computers



Caroline
Where would we be without computers? I’d be (1) __________ without mine. As I run a small business from home I’m always writing all sorts of (2) __________, and I can’t imagine doing them by hand or using a typewriter, but that’s what people had to do in the (3) __________, isn’t it? Then there are the business accounts, which I couldn’t keep track of without spreadsheets. As for email, there’s no way I could have built up my business without it, as it’s (4) __________ for me to be able to communicate quickly with my customers and suppliers.
It’s weird to think that until the early 1980s hardly anyone had a computer at home, as most computers were so big and expensive that they belonged to (5) __________ rather than individuals.
I’d say my computer is on for most of the time I’m in the house – if I’m not using it for work I’m probably surfing the internet, downloading music, or (6) __________ other stuff online.

Bob
Basically I’m a bit of a technophobe. There’s a lot of modern (7) __________ I don’t like using, and a lot I don’t really see the point of. I can’t believe how people think they have to get the latest (8) __________ gadgets, even though most of them are so obviously unnecessary.
As for computers, I use one at work, but that’s only because everyone in my
(9) __________ has to have one. I suppose computers help workplaces function more efficiently, but I don’t think they’re as (10) __________ as most people think they are. Email, for example, probably wastes as much time as it saves, as most of my colleagues seem to spend half the day (11) __________ to pointless messages. I also have a computer at home, but I haven’t used it for ages. I made an effort with it for a little while, but found it very frustrating – I got fed up with all those ‘error’ messages appearing on the (12) __________ whenever I tried to do something.


Fill the twelve gaps in the text with the correct words from the box below.
There are four words that you will not need to use.

organisations
price
past
office
electronic
documents
screen
replying
essential
technology
people
buying
top
happy
useful
lost


KEY

1. lost
2. documents
3. past
4. essential
5. organisations
6. buying
7. technology
8. electronic
9. office
10. useful
11. replying
12. screen

No hay comentarios: