miércoles, 17 de febrero de 2016

Modal Verbs Rephrasing

Rewrite the sentences using the modal verbs in brackets.

1. It’s possible that Jane will visit Switzerland next year. (could)

2. I’m thinking about taking Spanish lessons. (may)

3. I’m sure they’ll be home by now. (must)

4. James definitely isn’t eighteen yet! (can’t)

5. It’s possible the weather will be sunny tomorrow. (might)

6. I’m sure that Mrs Smith didn’t leave home. (can’t)
 Mrs Smith …

7. Perhaps she’s gone to stay with her mother. (might)
 She …

8. It’s possible that Mr Smith committed a crime. (may)
 Mr Smith …

9. I’m certain that he buried something in the garden. (must)
 He …

10. Perhaps he won the lottery. (could)
 He …

11. I’m sure he bought a new car. (must)
 He …

12. Perhaps Mr Smith murdered his wife. (might)
 Mr Smith …

13. I'm sure she's at home. (must)

14. I know that isn't Janet-She's in America. (can’t)

15. I'm sure she thinks I'm stupid. (must)

16. I bet I look silly in this coat. (must)

17. They're always buying new cars. I'm certain they have a lot of money. (must)

18. I'm sure he's not a teacher. He's too well dressed. (can’t)

19. You're an architect? I'm sure that's an interesting job. (must)

20. I'm sure you're not serious. I know you're joking. (must)

21. I'm sure he's got another woman. He keeps coming home late. (must)

22. This water is possibly dangerous. (could)

23. Politics is sometimes really boring. (can)

KEY


1. Jane could visit Switzerland next year.

2. I may take Spanish lessons.

3. They must be home by now.

4. James can’t be eighteen yet!

5. The weather might be sunny tomorrow.

6. Mrs Smith can’t have left home.

7. She might have gone to stay with her mother.

8. Mr Smith may have committed a crime.

9. He must have buried something in the garden.

10. He could have won the lottery.

11. He must have bought a new car.

12. Mr Smith might have murdered his wife.

13. She must be at home.

14. I know that it can’t be Jane-She's in America.

15. She thinks I must be stupid.

16. I must look silly in this coat.

17. They're always buying new cars. They must have a lot of money.

18. He can’t be a teacher. He's too well dressed.

19. You're an architect? It must be an interesting job.

20. I'm sure you're not serious. You must be joking.

21. He must have another woman. He keeps coming home late.

22. This water could be dangerous. 


23. Politics can be really boring.  

No hay comentarios: