1. True. He began teaching himself memory tricks when he spent three month in hospital aged 18
2. False. Memory training was first described in Rhetorica ad Herennium, a Latin textbook written between 86BC and 82BC
3. False. The basic idea of Memrise is that you associate each image with a particular graphic representation or picture that is significant to you
4. True. We’ve learnt that with learning, the most important thing is that people enjoy it so that they carry on doing it,” Cooke says
1. - tech giants want to make us empty-headed
- Remember phone numbers, people’s birthdays
2. -it is enjoyable
- users learn a wide range of subjects, from types of cheese to names of chemicals quickly and effortlessly
Question 3:[1,5 POINTS]Find words or phrases in the text that correspond to the words and definitions given
2. To enable
5. To carry on
Question 4:[1,5 POINTS] Complete the following sentences without changing the meaning.
1. One Eurotrain took almost 10 hours to complete the journey from
after breaking down in the tunnel. Paris
If the train hadn’t broken down in the tunnel, it would not have taken almost 10 hours ...
2. At the reception girls were wearing folk costumes and the bands were playing Russian music.
At the reception folk costumes were being worn and Russian music was being played
3.”we feel very sorry that we took the porcelain and paintings”, said the two men.
The two men admitted they had taken the porcelain and paintings and apologized.