martes, 29 de abril de 2014

British and American English 11

Fill in the British or American words in the following sentences. Give the British word for sentences 1-5 and the American one for sentences 6-10.


  1. Now, madam, if you’d just open the (hood) ……………………………, I’ll check the battery for you.
  2. It was a black car, Inspector, a Ford I think. But I’m afraid I didn’t get a chance to see the (license plate) ……………………………
  3. One thing you should remember about England is that people always (stand in line) …………………………… when waiting for a bus.
  4. Oh, Peter, I wonder if you could pop down to the (liquor store) ……………………………for me and get a bottle of whisky?
  5. I’d like a (one-way) …………………………… ticket to Hastings, please.
  6. The baby’s crying, darling. I think he wants his (dummy) ……………………………
  7. Go and (wash your hands) …………………………… before you have a meal, there’s a good boy.
  8. There’s something wrong with the hot water (tap) …………………………… It’s running cold.
  9. Excuse me, where’s the nearest (public convenience) …………………………… please?
  10. We could play a game of poker if someone as a (pack) …………………………… of cards.



KEY
1. Bonnet             2. Number plate          3. Queue          4. Off-licence     5.  Single

6. Pacifier            7. Wash up                8. Faucet          9. Restroom      10. deck

No hay comentarios: