miércoles, 2 de diciembre de 2015

Hooking Up My Computer



Dialogue and Multiple Choice Questions:


This dialogue contains a lot of computer jargon. Here is a vocabulary list of the most important related vocabulary, most of which you will find in the dialogue.

Computer Related Equipment


computer                printer             cable modem
hard drive               monitor           keyboard
mouse                    SD card          memory reader
cable                      Ethernet


Computer Related Verbs


to update                to turn off / on             to switch off / on
to plug in                to unplug                     to install
t
o hook up              to connect                   to disconnect
to boot up               to cut                           to paste
to copy                   to surf                          to browse
to fix



Hooking Up My Computer

Peter: Hi Jack. Can you give me a hand?
Jack: Sure. what's up?
Peter: I've just bought a new computer and I'm having some problems hooking everything up.
Jack:... and I'm a geek. Yeah, I know. I'd be happy to help.
Peter: Thanks! I've connected all the cables from my monitor, mouse and keyboard, and I've plugged it in.
Jack: Have you installed the software yet?
Peter: No, I haven't. Do I need to?
Jack: Not always, but it's best to install drivers for your keyboard and mouse, as well as your printer.
Peter: Will the computer boot up without those?
Jack: Of course. Boot up the computer and then we can update the drives.
Peter: OK. What's that thing (points to a computer component)
Jack: Oh, that's a memory reader. You can insert things like SD cards from your camera and mp3 players into it.
Peter: That's handy.
Jack: You've bought a nice system. How big is the hard drive?
Peter: I think it's 750 gigabyte.
Jack: Good... The computer's booted up. Let's install those drivers.
Peter: Before we do that, can I get online?
Jack: Do you have a modem?
Peter: Yes, I do. I think I have a cable modem.
Jack: hmmm... yes you do. Is the Ethernet cable plugged in?
Peter: What's that?
Jack: It's the cable that connects your modem to your computer.
Peter: Let's surf the internet!
Jack: Just a moment... first we need to launch the browser.
Peter: The browser?
Jack: It's the program that allows you to surf the internet.
Peter: oh ... I've got a lot to learn.
Jack: Yes, you do. I can see I'm going to be here all day ...


Multiple choice

1.     What's Peter having problems with?
a.      Hooking up his new computer
b.     Unplugging his new computer
c.      Installing his new computer 

2.     Why does he ask Jack for help?
a.      He knows Jack is friendly.
b.     He knows Jack is a geek.
c.      He knows Jack can't say no. 

3.     Which piece of hardware does Peter not mention hooking up?
a.      Mouse
b.     Keyboard
c.      Printer 

4.     What does Jack suggest Peter install?
a.      Drivers for the keyboard, mouse and printer
b.     A new browser
c.      A new hard drive 

5.     Which statement is true according to Jack?
a.      The computer won't boot up without the new drivers.
b.     The computer will boot up and new drivers won't help.
c.      The computer will boot up, but new drivers will help. 

6.     Which component does Peter not recognize?
a.      The printer
b.     The memory reader
c.      The cable modem 

7.     What does Jack think of the system?
a.      He thinks it's too small.
b.     He thinks it's nice.
c.      He thinks it's cheap. 

8.     Which hardware is required to get online?
a.      A cable modem and Ethernet cable
b.     A cable modem and printer
c.      A cable modem and SD card 

9.     Which software do they need to surf the internet?
a.      A word processor
b.     A browser
c.      An SD card 

10. What does Jack understand in the end?
a.  That Peter is an expert as using computers
b. That he's going to need to stay a long time to help Peter
c. That he should be done soon



KEY

  1. A
  2. C
  3. C
  4. A
  5. B
  6. B
  7. B
  8. A
  9. B
  10. B


No hay comentarios: