martes, 9 de abril de 2013

Families and relationships




1. Can you solve the puzzle below?
My name’s Frank. Who is my mother’s younger sister’s father’s brother-in-law’s wife’s father’s only great grandson? My uncle is called John and his father is called Jim. Jim has two brothers called Jack and Jeremy.

2. What is the difference in meaning between the following?

a. Parents and relatives
b. Nephews and nieces
c. Stepsisters and sisters-in-law
d. Godfathers and great-uncles
e. A close relative and a distant relative

3. Read the passage below. Sally is describing her relationship with people in her family. Match the underlined phrase with the best definition below.
a. I look like my dad.
b. I take after my mum.
c. I get on (really) well with my cousin, Jake.
d. I’m very close to my twin sister, Karen.
e. I have a lot in common with my brother, Will.
f. I’m (a bit) like my Aunt Gillian.

1. I have a similar personality.
2. I have inherited some of her characteristics.
3. I have a very good relationship.
4. We share similar interests.
5. I have a similar appearance.
6. I have a deep, strong relationship.

4. Now use the underlined phrases in the exercise above to best describe the following relationships.
a. John and Rob really enjoy each other’s company, because they both love playing football, talking about cars, and going out. (John and Rob have a lot in common)
b. Claire has lots of friends, but if she has a problem to solve or a secret to share she always tells her cousin, Sue, first. They grew up together, and can trust each other completely.
c. My Aunt Rose has the same long nose and high cheekbones as my mum. People often mistake her for her sister.
d. My nephews, Paul and Colin, are both very talkative and outgoing.
e. My mum tells me that I get my fiery temper and stubborn nature from my granny.

5 There are many idiomatic expressions in English to describe family relationships. Divide the phrases into two groups: people are similar, and people are different.
We’re as different as chalk and cheese.
We’re like two peas in a pod.
We get on like a house on fire.
She’s the spitting image of her mother.
I have little to do with her.
You just can’t tell them apart.

6 Prepare to discuss the questions below.
Who do you take after? In what ways?
Is there anyone in your family that you get on really well with? In what way?
Apart from your close family, do you keep in touch with any distant relatives?
Tell your partner about your family.
Adapted from Onestopenglish.com


KEY
  1. Frank
  2. a. parents= mother and father; relatives= all the people in  your family
b. nephews= male children of your sister or brother; nieces= female children of your sister or brother
c. stepsisters= if, for example, your mother or father remarries and his/her new spouse already has a daughter, then she becomes your stepsister; sisters-in-law= if your brother marries, his wife becomes your sister-in-law
d. godfather= in the Christian religion, when a child is baptised, his/her parents ask friends or relatives to be the child’s godparents; great-uncle= your mother or father’s uncle
e. a close relative= mum, dad, granny, etc; a distant relative= a great-aunt …
3.         a. 5
b. 2
c. 3
d. 6
e. 4     
f. 1
4.         a. John and Rob have a lot in common
            b. Claire is very close to Sue.
            c. Aunt Rose looks like my mum
            d. Paul is like Colin
            e. I take after my granny

5. People are similar
We’re like two peas in a pod.
We get on like a house on fire.
She’s the spitting image of her mother.
You just can’t tell them apart.

People are different
We’re as different as chalk and cheese.
I have little to do with her. 

No hay comentarios: